CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 23, 2009

Our time in Alaska






Well...I am certainly not a good blogger. I usually only post when I am feeling super motivated. Today is not one of those days but I am feeling obligated to let everyone know about our new home.

Since we set out on the ferry we have travelled many an Alaskan mile and settled into a home on Fort Richardson. We were blessed to received post housing within days. The housing is brand new and very nice. The only downside is that it only has a 1 car garage; up here that is a big deal. However, we've invested in engine block, oil pan and battery heaters. As long as you remember to plug your car in everything is fine. If you forget -- oops!

The temperatures around here dropped sharply the week of Christmas and remained between -20/-30 degrees for two weeks. Then they sky rockets to +45 degrees. This temperature jump melted much of the snow but also included strong winds that made inches of ice. If you can imagine 2 inches of slush onto of an ice rink or walking upon ice water, then you have a good idea of what things were like.
I was so proud I made it more than a month before I had my first fall. Tuesday I fell walking from the chapel to my car. Everywhere you go you are walking on ice. So when you are begin to slide you are on the ground before you even know what has happened. Due to the excessive amounts of water on top of the ice I was soaking wet and had to go home and change. There's nothing like wet pants at 15 degrees with a breeze!

Dan's job is going as well as expected. He is scheduled to take command in February. Before that happens he will attend the Artic Cold Weather training course at Fort Greely (a very cold place). Don't worry they have tons of gear -- so if used properly he shouldn't be too miserable. Shortly there after he is will shipping off to Fort Benning for Airborne school, hooah!

1 comments:

Jan said...

I didn't know you had a blog. I saw that you follow our blog and then I saw yours! Love your pictures!!! I just told Matt I was already praying that I could come and visit :)